Mon, 18 Dec 2017

Assessment of Sleep Quality among Hypnotic Users in Geriatric Population A Prospective Observational Study

Subeesh K V1*, Shivashankar V2, Gouri N3, S sriram2, Seema S1, Mamatha K1

1. Department of Pharmacy Practice; Faculty of Pharmacy, M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.

2. Department of Pharmacy Practice; College of Pharmacy, Sri Ramakrishna Institute of Paramedical Science, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India

3. Department of Pharmacology; Al Shifa College of Pharmacy, Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India.


ABSTRACT

Geriatrics accounts for 7% of the total world population. As age advances apartfrom health, sleep quality also becomes compromised in geriatrics. In addition, an increased incidenceof insomnia has been noted in the elderly. As a result geriatric population constitutes the largestconsumers of hypnotics. The aim of the study was to assess the effectiveness of hypnotics prescribedfor insomnia in the geriatric population. A prospective study for a period of ten months wascarried out in the geriatric population who consumed at least one hypnotic during their hospital stay. A total of 93 patients were included in the study. Data was collected from the patient's case report forms.The sleep quality was assessed using Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the patients were categorizedbased on their PSQI score. A total of 93 patients who met the inclusion criteria were includedin the study. Among them 49(53%) were female and 44(47%) were male. 59(63%) patients of thestudy population were experiencing trouble in falling asleep, 47(51%) were complaining of lessduration of sleep and 43(46.2%) were complaining early morning awakening as their major sleepcomplaint. The analysis of sleep quality by PSQI revealed that a total of 29% (27) patients had scoredless than 5 points (PSQI score) and had good quality sleep and the rest 71% (66) patients were foundto have poor quality of sleep. Zolpidem was found to be most effective for providing fast onset of sleep,diazepam for duration of sleep and clonazepam to reduce the early morning awakening. A statisticallysignificant improvement of sleep quality was observed in alprazolam 0.5mg and 0.25mg with a p-valueof 0.001 and 0.002 respectively.

Keywords: Sleep, Hypnotic, Geriatric Population


[PDF]  Viewed: 577  Downloaded: 101
  • Call for paper

    American Journal of PharmTech Research (AJPTR) is a peer-reviewed, bimonthly official international journal allowing access to abstracts and full-text.

    Read more...

     

  • Email & SMS Alerts

    Email/SMS alert system is one of the key features and gives update information about the submitted manuscript.

    Read more...

  • Article Statastics

    American Journal of PharmTech Research (AJPTR) provides unique facility for authors to know popularity of articles on basis of numbers of PDF download and views. It will display in tabulated format.

  • Online Submission

    American Journal of PharmTech Research (AJPTR) is one of the International open access journal devoted to various disciplines in science and technology.

    Read more...

web counter
web counter